Starting work on a couple of new poster ideas – and I thought it would be fun to show a bit of my process. I will use The Band Concert as an example, since it was so well received.
I started by watching the 1935 cartoon a few times in a row, to get a better sense for its general feel, texture , or…atmosphere. It’s funny – as much as I love this cartoon, looking at it for the purpose of designing the poster, I found myself focusing on different details than if I was watching it simply for entertainment. And watching it about ten times in a row, sometimes frame-by-frame, made it no less enjoyable.
My first approach was to sketch out a few thumbnails, but I quickly discovered that none of my ideas were panning out. I eventually decided on the vertical design to help emphasise the wind funnel which is the background of this movie. Here is the comp I submitted to ACME and Disney:
Once this layout was approved, I moved on to the creating the final art. The characters were drawn by hand, but the rest of the poster, including inking the character art and coloring was done using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Here are the original pencils for the characters:
Much of the process is very deliberate, but there is a certain amount of exploration as well. The coloring is the final step, and often times a piece of art can end up quite different than what I intended at first – but in the case of this poster, because it is screen-printed, I was limited to a maximum of eight colors. Although limiting, it was a fun challenge, especially because I wanted to capture a slightly aged color palette. Using a Pantone color selector for the final palette was a bit stressful because the colors look very different on the computer screen, but I have to say that the good folks at GYOMedia did an excellent job, and I am very happy with the final product.